Search This Blog

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Since You're All Still Here...

Unfortunately, nobody was caught up in the sky over the weekend. Or maybe if they were it was only like two people, who don't live near other people, so none of us know about it. We've all been left behind. I figured that I'd share some of my great finds from Rapture Day with you all in consolation. I mean, if we're still stuck here, we might as well go yard sale-ing, am I right?

Though, probably if the end of the world is coming in October I should have stocked up on canned goods and cigarettes instead of annuals and ballet flats. In the post-apocalyptic world you'll be able to trade cigarettes for anything. Who is going to want gold bars? Nobody, that's who. You are going to want to traffic in booze and cigarettes. Trust me on this one. When everyone is wearing tied together bits of leather and has gone without a good scrubbing for months people are going to need something to make that sight look and smell better.

The sale we went to was in Churchville, ironically enough. In attendance: Me, HB and Lilah. We also stopped at the Gates Town Hall which was having a huge community sale in it's yard and labyrinth-like bowels. HB and my mom bought every kind of plant imaginable. I bought a baby Chinese Lantern plant for $2. They bought the same and something called Purple Passion from a woman wearing party beads. I wouldn't be surprised if you could smoke the stuff.


HB found the enamel bucket for $2. She first thought about plating flowers in it (because these two had pants on the brain, let me tell you) but then I reminded her about the patio she is planning and how the bucket might be perfect for ice and beer. Obviously, she agreed. Snap out of the plant coma, people, there is more to life. Like beer.

Lilah bought her share of foliage and a Vincent Van Gogh umbrella for $1. Sometimes I wonder how the masters would feel having people put their work on umbrellas, blankets and aprons. Ah well, they're dead. Who cares, eh? People gotta stay dry, warm and clean, they might as well look cultured doing it. Especially people who pronounce Van Gogh: "Van Gauck" or "Van Gaugh".


My mom also got an old heating pad still in the box for $2. We used to have one just like it when I was little. She got a Buffalo Bills potholder for cheap, a cool shaker for $1, a cute flower pin for 50 cents and a glass candy jar for a quarter! The recipe box was in the free bin and the gift bags were a quarter each. Cheaper than the dollar store! Take that $4/gallon gasoline!


I would like to say that Lilah also got a bag of fresh popped popcorn. We smelled it, we saw kids eating large bags of it, but we never seemed to find the sale with the popcorn. The neighborhood was essentially a circle and just as we were getting back to our car we saw it. The empty popcorn machine. One sale to the right of our car. One fatal step away. Lilah nearly cut herself. She did swear repeatedly and announce that it was time to get the hell out of there. Poor kid. She had behaved all day and never stolen so much as as one piece away from those lucky children with their bags full of corn. OK, so she might have eyed them a little too interestedly and made their mother's very nervous, but she didn't take so much as a kernel. A tragic story.

Hb found a muffin tin made out of this star patterned metal that she loves for $1 and some magazines for a quarter each. This girl needs more magazines like she needs more trash cans. She hordes them. It's a sickness.


I got two shot glasses and two small planters for a quarter each. They sort of match! The green shot glass says "Reforestation Expert" and the yellow one says "Water Conservationist". They are prizes for the Seersucker Social bike ride on Sunday. The planters are for the basil plants that we got at the public market.


Here is my Chinese lantern $2, a pin cushion 25 cents and a Goosberry Patch stack of pumpkins that I got for $1.


The ballet flats were $1 and the three pieces of estate silver were $1 total. I went to a restaurant here in Rochester on Friday night called Good Luck. They brought the silverware out in mason jars. It was all mismatched pieces of silver. The chairs were all mismatched, too. It's adorable in there. I have some silver, but I was re-inspired by visiting the restaurant. If you look, you'll be able to find silver for ridiculously good deals too!


I paid 15 cents for the ceramic Christmas house. You're thinking that I paid too much, aren't you? That is so like you. I got the vintage Hallmark "Midnight Snack" ornament for 50 cents. A mouse on a Christmas donut with sprinkles? Yeah, I think so. The silver holly was FREE!


Here's a little peep at the Belles in Seersucker garb.

1 comment:

  1. Now....that little house makes me want to die. 15 cents? Someone shoot me for all that I'm missing out on.

    ReplyDelete