Search This Blog

Saturday, April 3, 2010

The First Cut Is The Deepest

The first sale outing of the season, a household sale in Chili. It was still pretty cold last week when we were out, not to mention, it was the third day of the sale. But, it was Saturday and sunny and we were game. The garage was packed with seasonal decor. Lots of Christmas and recent Halloween costumes. It was freezing in the garage. We stayed until our fingers were numb and lady luck made it worth our while.

Alicia found TWO finials for HB. I found two reindeer for Alicia. HB found a few really great ornaments for herself. Much silent screaming ensued. Especially because of the finials. She usually finds about 4 a year. Two in one shot is pretty great. The one with the star is plastic and the brown /gold one is glass. Oh, did I mention they were 25 CENTS EACH? Yeah, they were.



There wasn't a whole lot left in the house, but HB did manage to score quite a bit of stuff: vintage cat-eye glasses, pretty footstool, crazy awesome box with art deco ladies on it which holds very long matches and a Christmas tablecloth with holly & candles.


Alicia got a Star Trek book (don't ask) and some great blue star earrings.


I ended up with a bunch of neon colored drink stirs (I have no drink stirs at my house, how is this possible?) a pewter cup which is an award of some kind, some fuzzy pumpkins (geez, I love plastic) and a book about the Littlest Majorette - for someone special. Then there was this incident where I got really excited over this cylindrical cardboard item that I thought was a kaleidoscope, when in fact it was not. I realized this in slow steps as I gasped with delight, holding it to my eye, HB began to laugh so hard she almost fell down, and I couldn't see though either end of the cardboard. But it's cool, because the thing actually held cinnamon scented matches for Christmas. Score!


So, feeling pretty good about our haul, which totaled $10 all together, we decided to go to a nearby thrift store. I scored 4 shirts, Alicia got a great/insane blanket (why did I not take a picture of this?) but, it was HB that really brought home the bacon. And you all know how much I love bacon.

The coup of the day was HB's new (vintage) enamel topped table with glass knob on the drawer. Blue and yellowish-cream swirl pattern enamel the likes of which I have never seen. Glorious. $30. Boom. Fit in my car, Alicia took one for the team, riding with it the short distance back to HB's. A glorious end to a glorious day.


The thing is absolutely perfect in her new kitchen. Bask in the glow of it's glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment