Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

The Swap Party

No, not that kind of swap party. No keys in a dish, no swapping partners. Just a good old fashioned bring-your-junk-to-my-house-and-take-some-of-my-junk-home party. Like a yard sale, but everything is FREE! I found out that it is hard for people to wrap their minds around this concept. Ladies at my gym kept calling it my "yard sale". The swap party is gaining popularity or so my magazines tell me, but I don't think my friends are exactly ready for it yet. I think it makes people uncomfortable when everything is free. Not some people, thankfully. But most. For the most part people in NY state are pretty skeptical of things. Skeptical and sarcastic, that's us.

We even had tons of delicious food and drinks (prepared by the ever talented husband) to lure people. And I posted pictures on facebook with my new phone. In my mind I would have been ecstatic to have 40 people show up. Ten people came. It became more of a hang out, party type thing. So it was fun even though we had a million things leftover.

Let me show you some of the stuff:


Mary ended up finding a good home as did some of the pots.


The large sifter went home with someone.


The chalkboard found a home as did the Christmas wreath.


The spice rack followed the chalkboard to new digs.


The cake plate, some trays, the oval picture and some salt and pepper sets were scooped up.


The red chair left.


The nesting tables were among the first to go.


Bob and Culleen were there fist thing and stay right through clean up, god bless them!


This Rachel Ray cookery thing didn't even make it to the table!


My mom and Gee (grandma) came and swapped with us. <3 I love those ladies!

Here is what the husband and I ended up keeping from what others brought over:

The husband is pretty excited about this wok. I'm excited too, because it means delicious delights are coming my way soon!


I use this clay for crafting and the blow up Barbie pool is actually a foot bath for the husband. If I were a kid I'd totally use it for Malibu Barbie and company.


I know it's a pilsner glass but I'm going to be using it for a vase. Don't judge me, you know I love my beer. Pretty lilac pashmina/scarf. A light up fall garland (WITH GLITTER) and last but not least, I'll be making my own popsicles this summer, thank you very much. Yes, you may come over and have some.

We packed up all of the remaining furniture/large items and took them to Heather's house to put out at the street. She lives on a very busy four lane road. Garbage piles don't last long there. Within hours almost everything was gone. More people participated in the swap party than we know! The clothes were taken to a nearby goodwill dumpster. The next day we took two car loads to another thrift store and donated it.


All in all a fun experience but not one I'm looking forward to repeating any time soon. On the other hand, I'd totally attend someone else's!



1 comment:

  1. I would like to know A) if someone took the willies-inducing feather wreath and B) if you're going to make claymation movies with that clay. Preferably Wallace and Gromit-esque.

    ReplyDelete