Search This Blog

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Mother Necessity

Necessity is the mother of invention. I believe this more than a lot of notions out there. Especially here at the Snug Bungalow. We have a tiny little house and sometimes it gets filled up rather quickly. With only one tiny coat closet to the entire house, you have to get creative.

I keep my burgeoning earring collection on a lamp in my bedroom what is a replica of the Eiffel Tower. It's lattice of wire works great for storing danging earrings. (Pretend that I wasn't too lazy to take a picture of this and that you can see exactly what I'm talking about, mmmkay?)

But, as you know, I am a collector. I really prefer that term over hoarder. That has a nasty ring to it. I like me some earrings, ok? I wear them every day, so I don't feel like I have to curb my collection. I like a wide variety. But where to put them all?

I know some people who crochet (knit??) lace and frame it in a picture frame without glass and use that for hanging earrings and it works and looks really great. But, I'm out of wall space.

Enter: Mother Necessity.

I do have a stand alone 3' jewelry box. It's a small piece of furniture, very modest compared to my mother's closet of jewels and the husband's mother's three floor length boxes she's got mounted to her bedroom wall. This stately piece holds most of my jewelry but doesn't have an area for earrings. It has a door on each side with hooks for necklaces and there seemed to be extra room in there when you closed the door.

A quick trip to the Home Depot later and the husband whipped up exactly what I wanted. And needed.

Check it.


2 comments:

  1. Very fancy! Go Belles! (and it's knitted, not crocheted.) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome...you should patent that idea!

    ReplyDelete