Search This Blog

Saturday, August 23, 2014

Moist Ski Toes

There has been rain here.  A lot of rain.  And warm temperatures.  So, it feels like a lovely swamp.  With all the mosquitos you could ever want.  You've got to run to the house from the car at lightening speed (and hope there is someone inside ready to open the door and shut it again after you zoom in) for fear that you may pass out from blood loss on the way.  It's straight up gross outside.  I'm shocked there aren't crocodiles and boa constrictors roaming about out there.  And the most terrible part is that while we are experiencing days like Noah, the opposite coast is having the worst drought in many, many years.  Something is dreadfully out of whack.

I took yesterday off to attend the annual sale to benefit The Advent House.  It's an adorable hospice house run by a devoted group of volunteers.  It's an amazing place and the benefit sale they have each year is not to be missed.

I hit up jewelry first as I usually do.  I wasn't disappointed.  A gorgeous pair of nice, heavy turquoise earrings for $5, a cute pair of Asian inspired black and red earrings from the 80's for $2, and a huge, ridiculous, multi-stoned, lion (gargoyle, beast?) headed cuff for $5.  Sometimes you just need a ridiculous statement piece.


The Florida shot glass is from a sale a few weeks ago.  Love me some Florida.  The wooden bangle was $1 and fits my child wrists really well.  Which almost never happens.  I've been interested in getting a wooden bangle for a while now.  It could have something to do with my recent obsession with all things tiki.  (Thanks, Pinterest.)  The hombre Christmas tree with iridescent sparkles was $1 as well.


I also scored some great gifts and a bunch of things for the ol' Etsy store, so it was a pretty good day.

Today is Saturday and I was finally able to get to some more estate sales.  It feels odd that my sale-ing days will not end this year, but will continue out into the fall and through the winter.  Cold weather is generally the death of yard sale season, but estate sales go right on through the winter.  What a novel idea!  Will I get sick of it?  Is there any such thing as TOO many sales??



Most of the estate sales we hit today were half off.  God, I love that phrase.  These tiki dudes are shot glasses I think.  Some vintage stoppers and a tea ball complete the set of kitchen kitch.  Each of these items were a quarter.


Tiny vintage mice ornaments!  One of my favorite things ever.  This set was $1.50  The hankies were a quarter.  I know, I need more hankies like a need a kick to the shin.  They just jump right in my bag, I don't even know how to stop them!

Alicia came sale-ing with me this morning.  She scored big:


She covets old crates, but in these parts they are generally too rich for her blood.  Today she found one for $3!  A dream realized.  The mid century cream pleather ottoman was also $3.  Ridiculous.


She got a pair of gorgeous glass lamps for $4, and a pie wedge server, a spatula and some assorted kitch for a quarter each.


Please don't miss the most wee bird.

So, In Summary:
Edward Cullen has nothing on these blood suckers.

No comments:

Post a Comment