Search This Blog

Monday, July 11, 2016

Magic Summer II

When I was in high school my friend Ann and I devised a scheme whereby we'd drive to yard sales and flea markets, find the toys of our childhood, and then sell them online.  On our own website.  Designed and implemented by us.  That was in 1996/1997. That's right.  We were ahead of the curve.  Most people we knew didn't even have an email address yet, and we were already hawking 80s toys online.  We did that for many years.  People actually found our site, and bought things from us.  We actually made some money.  It was pretty boss.

Ann started referring to these summer sale sessions as "magic summers".  The sheer joy of being in the warmth, and sun, hunting treasures with the kinds of friends you didn't have to try with.  Ya feel me?

This year, I don't work on Fridays.  Ann is a choir teacher at a school and therefore has the summers off.  She also just started an Etsy shop selling vintage clothing and accessories.  The name?  Magic Summer Vintage

Again we bring the epic (and slightly annoying, to all those around them) duo of Ann & Sarah back to the sale route.  Estate sales, thrift stores, church sales, neighborhood garage sales, and piles of junk at the curb be forewarned.  We are coming for you.

Here are some of the things I've found on some of our recent outings. 


We went on an long journey (one hour away) to a neighboring city to hit up a bunch of thrift stores on half off day.  They mostly had clothes, which was weird.  But I did find a few things for myself. I have no idea if this Christmas rag rug is old or new ("Old or new!? Old or new!?") but it matters not.  I love it and will delight in using it in front of the sink during the Christmas Season. (November to February) It was about $2.


I also scored all of this great stuff on half off day.  A vintage shelled vase ($1) that says "Florida", A tropical 80's serving tray ($4) and a vintage 80's pastel purple purse. ($4)  The purse is very Blanche Devereaux, which is why I love it so much.  Since it's my life goal to become one of the Golden Girls. (Sophia, preferably) 


I love me a flamingo, so I was super happy to find this toothpick holder at an estate sale for $1!  I bought the plastic shell mirror compact to go with my new Blanche purse. (.50 cents) And lucite earrings! ($5) I love lucite, let me tell you.  Throw some glitter or aquarium gravel into some plastic and I'll never stop swooning.


I found the little totem pole for $1 ("Made by American Indians"!) and the tulip shaker for $2. The turkey is a Steiff turkey. IT WAS ONE DOLLAR!!!  CAN YOU EVEN?!  The weirdest part was that there were other Steiff animals for sale for very reasonable, but much higher prices at this same sale.  But, mister turkey was relegated to the basement, with the holiday brick-a-brack.  I thought, "Oh look! A fuzzy turkey, how cuuuuu......!!!!!" and was cut off mid thought when I actually touched him and realized what was up.  This was one for the books. (or rather, blog)


I found this awesome tin for a quarter. I know that I need to stop with the Christmas tins. I can stop any time I like.


This amazing vintage Halloween mask was found at our Public (Farmer's) Market on one of their weekend garage sale days.  It's only the third one I've found since I fell in love with them several years ago.


I had a fabulous tip-off that this Kermit puppet and Miss Piggy lunchbox (Neither of which I had!) were hiding out at a super gross flea market in town. The kind of place where teeth are optional. The first shelf you see when you entered the flea market building had individually wrapped rolls of toilet paper. For sale.  It smelled like a car air freshener and an incense stick had a revolting smelling baby.  My bravery and nasal sacrifice was worth it.  I got the pair for $8 total.


THEN I found these two at an estate sale I was at with Heather!  I might of slugged her at the sight of them.  Possibly even shoved her out of the way a little? Then I tried to regain poker face.  It wasn't easy. $5 for the pair!  What a great week for the Muppet Collection!


My first honeycomb Christmas tree!  For $1! The cardboard Christmas box was also $1.  And it smells like old lady inside.  Don't pretend you don't know exactly what that smells like.


I've been searching for a red Cosco stool for years!  They get scooped up at Estate sales around here lickety split. This one was made for Target, and not vintage.  But I got it for $10 and it still has it's tag! I'm pleased as punch!

I'm going to forego the "New In My Shop" feature this time since this post is so long.  I'll post some shop updates later this week, along with a coupon to use in my shop!

Until next time, happy hunting!

1 comment:

  1. I love everything about this, especially the link (thanks for that!) but you left out an important detail. Magic Summer the First had a THEME SONG. (We're Ann and Sarah yeah yeah...)

    ReplyDelete