Search This Blog

Monday, July 25, 2016

The One To Beat

Every year you hit that garage, church, or estate sale that is just the tops.  You get tons of great crap at rock bottom prices and then you have hours of re-looking delight, not to mention telling everyone you know about it in great, great detail.  It becomes The One To Beat. 

Last week I went to a sale that falls into this category.  It was mere blocks from my house, was an estate sale run by one of my favorite companies, and everything was half off!  For some reason sales in my part of town are not well attended.  Which, is great for me.  Because the less people, the more chance you have to snag the bits you want!  So on day two (half off day) the house was still stuffed with items!

I hopped on down to the basement first to take a crack at the holiday fare.  There were buckets of it, though most of it was new or super uggs.  I did find a few flocked apple ornaments that I'll use in my everyday red/jadeite dining room setup.


(I already had the Jadeite creamer - it's just a photo prop in this pic) I got everything in this photo for $6.50.  The pencils just thrill me. I have one other Christmas pencil with an elf head on top.  It's shocking to me that they were there on the second day.  But, as I've said, nobody wants Christmas right now!  Dummies!  The Santa is a cookie jar.  I'm not sure that he's vintage, but he's just too adorable for that to matter at all. The red and green polkadot scarfs were part of a treasure trove of scarfs I found in the boudoir, all going for 50 cents!


This is another of the scarfs.  Pure magic!  I'll be displaying this one at Halloween!  I snagged the Florida coasters for 50 cents.  I just love that beach graphic!  The beach is my place.  You know, besides estate sales.  Those are my place as well.


As I was waiting in line to check out, I was carrying, among other things, this insanely awesome hot pink garbage can.  The lady running the sale leaned over and asked if I'd seen the matching hamper. Wha-whaaaatt?  She told me where it was and back up to bedroom #2 I went!  When I first found the trash can I couldn't tell if it was red or hot pink.  The lighting in these old houses is notoriously bad.  I'm actually thinking of starting to carry a flashlight.  Many of the houses don't have overhead lighting and therefore rely on lamps.  But then, the lamps all get sold and you are left in the dark!  I had to take the trash can over to the window to determine it's color.  I'm very glad she told me about the hamper, because I completely missed it in the dark mire of stuff and shoppers.  I snagged the pair for $4.50!  The hamper is much too small to use for an actual hamper.  I plan to use it to store my off-season work out clothes or something.

When I was originally scoping out the sale I saw a whole pile of vintage plush toys. I was hopeful that by day two some of them might still be there.  Well, all of them were still there.  Apparently nobody in town wants vintage plush toys from the 50s.  I scooped up the ones that were in great condition.  I'm going to keep this large Easter bunny man for myself.  He's going to  look so faboo in my Easter display!  I just love his pink, felt eyelashes and his ticking outfit!



Now it's time for...
New In My Etsy Shop
(Click on a photo to be taken to that listing in my shop!)

Vintage Sewing Cards


The graphics on these cards are just so darn adorable! There are 8 cards in all and I can't stop thinking about how cute they'd be in different holiday displays.  Because that's where my mind is most of the time.  Putting together holiday displays.  How perfect would these kids be in a 4th of July (or other patriotic holiday) display, I ask you?!

Vintage Strawberry Shortcake Wall Clock


Unfortunately, this little gem doesn't run.  But the clock mechanism could be replaced pretty easily if you are a handy person. Imagine using this in your office, instead of that ugly old plain black one.  Every time you checked to see how many hours of torture you had to go, you'd be greeted by cheerful Strawberry and her kitty, Custard.  They'd be rooting you on!  They'd be reminding you how much fun you were going to have after work!  They'd be on your team, helping you file your TPS reports!

Vintage Mid Century Hand Painted Reindeer Ornament


I just love the colors used on this guy.  I love a liberal use of aqua. This dude has stripes.  He's got polka dots. And judging by his upturned snout, I'd say he has a bit of an attitude about it. A little hoity-toity there, Mr. Reindeer. Christmas is one of my favorite things, ever.  I decorate one full sized tree, one medium, and one small.  As of right now none of them are mid-century specific, but you never can tell what the future might bring!

Vintage Dreamland Creations Squeak Toy Doll With Dinosaur


I'll admit it.  When I first became part of the Instagram community, I didn't know squeak toys were a thing.  But it turns out, they so are. People love these little babies!  This baby in particular, is hard as a rock and no longer squeaks.  She is still ridiculously adorable in her Pebbles-esque-ness. (that's a real thing) She's toting around her little dino buddy and in the back she's losing her britches, a bit!

Until next time ~ Happy Hunting!
SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment