Search This Blog

Sunday, October 22, 2017

The Bins


This is what people refer to the Goodwill Clearance Center as.  The Bins. I can't fault them.  It truly is just a bunch of bins. The clothes are in bins of their own, and generally shoes has one, and purses has one.  And linens, for the most part.  And electronics and lamps and stuff are set up in the back on actual shelves.  Then, everything else under the sun is unceremoniously tossed into a jumble, and put in bins.  Think: digger estate sale on steroids. 


I think our clearance center might be small.  It only takes me about 45 minutes to an hour to dig through the non-clothing bins.  I don't do clothing.  It also opens at 8:00am, which is my jam.  I'm an early to rise early to bed type human. It seems other humans may not be, and I can tell that the other re-sellers don't generally show up until after 9. Seems like there might be a few clothing re-sellers, and maybe a few Ebayers.  But, these people are not going for vintage - other than maybe some clothes. That is abundantly clear. I'm the only one there digging for vintage toys and decor and holiday.  And it's SO MUCH DAMN FUN!

The first time I went, I got a large bag of items for $3.14.  This time, I got another huge bag and spent $2.46.  People.  These prices are below church sale prices.  They are less than garage sale prices.  Most items are weighed and the price is taken from the bulk weight.  I honestly have no idea how it's calculated, and I don't want to know.  I like being surprised. It's insanity!

The most experienced binners wear gloves.  I noticed this the first time I visited.  And after putting my hand into mystery goo twice, I resolved to wear gloves the next time.  But of course, on my next trip, I forgot them. Third time's the charm! (I hope)

This time I found a legitimate antique! A miser's purse in ridiculously good condition.  Fully beaded.  With fringe!  To anyone else it might just look like some weirdly spangled sock, but I knew what it was and snatched it up while trying like heck to maintain poker face. I'll be listing it for sale in my Etsy shop sometime in the next month. Seriously.  You just NEVER KNOW what you might find!

If I were a seller that didn't mind shipping breakables (I do) I'd have a boatload of stuff every time.  Tons of Syracuse China, and figurines, and cool ceramic birds and dogs, and just everything, really.

It's different every time, and such a rush!  I've resolved to go whenever the estate sale situation looks sad.  It should be something I can muster up the energy to do, even in the midst of horrible winter.  Because I don't have to wait in line outside, and it takes a very small amount of time to do before I can be back home, under a million blankets with a hot cup of coffee.

Every time I come home from a sale or a thrift store, my pup Sprocket has to thoroughly inspect everything like a TSA agent.


Here is what I ended up with - for keeps.  Some vintage die cuts -  the cat is flocked! Jelly bracelets, because I grew up in the 80s and there is no way I can leave them.  Plus, I'm working on having a whole arm of them - only have about 4" so far. And a tiny The Brain figure from the 90s that I remember being on little heart candy boxes for Valentine's Day.  He's going to go in my non-holiday shadow box.


Yay bins!

No comments:

Post a Comment