Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Light

It feels right to start something at the beginning of a new year. It's not a resolution really, just something I've been meaning to do. Something I feel would be a comfort to me, as these small flickering lights are on the dark, cold nights of winter.

I have begun to crave small points of light, candles or store bought strands of electric twinklers. Pictures of small candles shining brightly on a holiday table have brought me to tears more than once this season. I've heard it said that certain people groups have a "long memory"- that somehow memory of things past have been etched into their biology. Perhaps that is what I'm feeling. The tug of some ancient knowledge that equates fire or light with safety and home.
There is nothing more cozy than being in your darkened living room cuddled under a blanket while the soft snow falls outside. It's a small consolation for a season with no yard sales.

No comments:

Post a Comment