Search This Blog

Monday, January 11, 2010

The One Where I Score A New Purse For $3.74



Firstly, I want to thank Target. They just moved into our neighborhood about six months ago. We already had four or five of them in the Greater Rochester area, but this one is about three miles from The Snug Bungalow.
We aren't big shoppers in general - unless you count thrift stores, yard sales and flea markets. It seems that now we can obtain all items of necessity in one plaza. Target and Wegmans - who needs the mall? *shudder*

I hate having to buy a new purse. Don't get me wrong, I have many and varied purses and love picking up a new specimen when one happens to speak to me. I hate
needing a new purse, being forced to find a new one.

Most of my purses are "occasion" purses. The kind you use for a wedding, the movies, going on vacation, holidays...I even have a purse that is specifically for picnics. I love occasion purses, they are fun to buy. Everyday purses, on the other hand, incur more stress. I have very specific ideas about my everyday purse. I hate short straps. The kind that go over one shoulder and fall down with every twinge of movement. (This is fine and acceptable for an occasion purse, but not for everyday) I have to have a long strap that I can sling across my body. I don't want to constantly be hiking it back over my shoulder or holding on to it to keep it in place. I hate pinching it between my bent arm and my body in order to make it stay put. I want my hands and arms free. Range of motion.


I'm practical and get irritated easily. That is why since high school I have carried some type of military surplus bag which I call "purse". Sort of a mini messenger bag. A long line of used up, frayed and ragged army green bags lay in my wake.


I have known for a few weeks now, that the current bag's (which I did, in fact, purchase in high school) time was drawing nigh. I tried denial on for size, fearing the moment when I'd have to begin "the search". Finally I gave in and put it on the Target shopping list. I nestled it right between two high glamor items: A mattress cover and garbage bags. Yes, we lead a charmed life. Yesterday we visited Target. Yesterday I walked directly into the purse section, head held high, while my husband cowered nearby. He feared the worst, as did I. The trenches, the long haul, Charlie. Oh but, what's this? Green and black long-strap purses? On sale?? $3.74?!? Well, #$%*^& me! The lining is an adorable floral pattern, something that I had never encountered in the military surplus aisle.

I rose from the trenches a happy soldier. Charlie on the run. Victorious.




1 comment: