Search This Blog

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Dirty Church

The husband and I started our day out at the Public Market at 8:00 am. I don't know if you know this about Rochester, but we have the #1 Public Market in the country! In the entire US of A, Rochester has got the best Public Market. It seems unbelievable, but when you arrive at 8:00 am and have to park two blocks away because the place is so packed, you start to understand. We had our veggie and meat grocery list and were able to get almost everything on the list. I swear to you, it seemed like every single thing was $1. I can't wait to go to Wegmans and find out how much our three bags of produce and chicken would have been.

Then we went to two neighborhood sales that are across the street from one another. It's been years since I've been to these particular sales. Last time I went it was a mad house. Swarms of people the likes of which you might witness at Woodstock or NYC on New Years Eve. Call me crazy, but I just felt like living on the edge today. There were plenty of other great sales to go to, but these were closer to home and gas is $4 a gallon. Not that I drove. But, you get the point. Anyway, it ended up that the crowds were thinner and the pickins better.


In attendance: Lilah, the husband, Sarah and Sarah.
We started at a church sale. Innocent enough, or so one might think. We found gobs of 80's stuff. Including "Yo MTV Raps!" trading cards still in the box and stickers wanting to know, "Where Is The Beef?" Not where's the beef. Where. Is. The. Beef?! Then things started to get a little...kinky. There was a gold necklace charm of a couple...coupling and a photo frame with factory photos of men in the buff that showed you exactly where the beef was. Two other gems did not elude us:

Sarah pities the foo' who doesn't cure virginity...hound dog.


The husband is pretty pumped to use this on his desk at work next week. Jealous? As we were checking out Nick mentioned that he thought churches were supposed to burn things like this. The man collecting the money said, "Not this church, we're awesome." How can you disagree with that? Lilah scooped up a vintage folding lawn chair for 50 cents and Nick took it's match. Then of course Lilah wondered if she should have gotten both and they spent the rest of the day keeping their respective chairs out of reach of each other.


The vintage still in the wrapper message board is for someone who likes that kind of thing. It has felt pieces on it. Authentic 1970's felt. We're talking high class.

The husband got two Beach Boys records. One has NEVER BEEN OPENED. They were 50 cents each.


Lilah scored a tiny little turkey (she has to be the only person I've ever met who loves turkey things) for a quarter, a vintage silhouette jar for 50 cents, two plants for a buck and ...popcorn. She was eating it before we even realized it was there. My mother is a popcorn fiend. She can smell popcorn three miles away. She can also eat her weight in popcorn. She housed that junk. It was fresh popped, too! Right in someone's front yard. Two things to know about my mother: Do NOT get in between her and popcorn OR her and fresh oranges from the tree. You will be chewed.



I got several things as well. The first to tempt your imaginations is: the dog air freshener or "Air Refresher". It's fuzzy, it's green, it's a dog...apparently. This one is for a friend. Obviously. What are friends for? Plus, it came from Dirty Church.



I love tiny. I love cute. I love holidays. Put those hands together.


I had this book when I was younger. I just started to think about it last week and I missed it. I remember the pictures so vividly. Glad to have it back.


This vintage black purse was $1 and came with it's original change purse. The leather pouch is for a friend who loves horses. And probably leather to some extent. But definitely pouches.


I've been all about the 80's stuff lately. Even more so than usual which is bad news. I looked at plastic 80's jewelry online the other day for about an hour. I was then gifted with this for like a quarter. Now, I used to have a ton of these when I was a kid and then again when I had the 80's toy website: 80's Twilight. (calm down, that was at least 10 years before The Twilight Saga came to be) I forced the collection onto a friend. For her own good. (who, me?? Never!!) But, I think I'll keep this one. At least until my nostalgia fades away. I bet you recognize some of these charms from your own necklace, don't ya?


Stay tuned for more yard sale-ing adventures on the high seas! (or on land, in the suburbs)

No comments:

Post a Comment