Search This Blog

Monday, December 22, 2014

Squeezing It In

It's holiday time.  It's a busy time of year.  I'm not going to pretend that I'm the only one running around like a lunatic, with lists and bags and calendars whilst talking to myself out loud through entire stores.  You know what it's like.  If you get invited to one more party, have to go to one more store, or have to make one more batch of goodies, you're liable to lose your...Christmassy spirit.

So, it really was my fault, perusing the estate sale ads for the weekend.  A weekend that already involved lots of baking, 3 parties, and a movie night.  I did not have time for one more thing.  But this sale, these pictures, it was just not to be missed.  You'd have to be crazy to miss it.  And I think I proved my level of sanity.  Especially because this last minute, full tilt, lists in hand trip involved bringing a newborn along.

The good news is that Baby Charlie did great (Slept the whole time!) and I got some amazing things. It felt good to get back out there, in my element, rubbing shoulders with mean grabby vendors and sweet old ladies.  Plus, everything was 30% off!

$2 for this gorgeous green on green box painted with bamboo.  This is perfect for the tropic bedroom of my dreams.  I love that the paper lining is printed to look like wood.


$10 - Hand made black velvet plush cat.  She was skulking around up in the attic of the house.  I found her peering through the deep shadows.  She is going to be a smashing addition to my black cat collection for fall.


$5 - Jesus Los Vegas pin and $5 - Green double shell dish.  The pin is for my grandma.  My mom said she'd love it, so I took a chance.  The dish is for my bedroom.  I'm going to put jewels in it.


$6 - Vintage Honeycomb snowmen ornaments and .50 cents - vintage Santa head ornament.  I saw these snowmen on (my boyfriend) Pinterest recently and I can't even believe I have them in real life now!  I'm obsessed with paper honeycomb things right now.  I couldn't even say why.  We can probably safely blame vintage Hallmark though.


$6 - Vintage Sarah Coventry necklace.  My grandma had this exact necklace and I spent a lot of time playing with it as a kid.  I'm very glad to have one to wear!  I plan on pairing it with my tiki earrings.


Some of us aren't great at "taking one for the team" yet.


Now I want to share with you something very special:


Yeah. No, I don't know what it is, either.  This was on the same street as the estate sale.  In someone's front yard.  I have two theories.  Theory #1- It could be a reference to "A Christmas Story", wherein the leg lamp breaks and then the dad buries it in the back yard.  There are a few problems with this theory though.  It's just a leg (no fishnet stocking, no black high heel shoe) and it's all in one piece.  In the movie the leg gets pretty smashed up.  Theory #2- The person who lives in this house lost a leg.  And this is their tongue in cheek tribute to their lost appendage.  The problems with this theory are: Dude, nobody is going to get that.  And also, eeeew.  One thing I do know about this...piece...of art...is that it lights up.  The green near the base of the leg is a strand of lights, all wadded up.  So.  Thoughts?

So, In Summary:
Sometimes You Can Fit A Little More In
(That's What She Said)

No comments:

Post a Comment