Search This Blog

Sunday, August 21, 2011

It's In The Air

Fall, that is. I whined and complained so much and so loudly this year about summer never starting and the rain and the cold and the cloudy sky that I hardly feel that I should be allowed to get excited about fall. My friend who is in love with summer says that fall is great, but it's sort of a like a book you've read a bunch of times that you know has a sad ending. Namely: winter. I can't get the slightest bit excited about winter yet. Maybe ever again. But never say never. Just think it.

But, I do love fall. And fall decorating time is nigh upon us. September 1st. But as for me, I'm going to try to drain the last little bit of enjoyment out of summer that I can. Watermelon, sundresses, flipflops and the like. Because, I also know that with fall comes the end of yard sale season. That breeds desperation and depression. We don't want to think about that right now.

This weekend Sarah Mae, Andrew, Alicia, the husband and I went to a sale in Chili. We almost always go to this sale, never on purpose, really. We just end up going. And we've gotten great stuff every time.

Sarah Mae wins the award for most and biggest this time. (every time??) OK, to be fair I think I actually win the award for most this time, but the items are so tiny it hardly seems to count. You'll see.


One thing Sarah Mae is queen of for sure: The $1 furniture. My mother used to be Queen of the Free Bin. She'd find amazing things in the boxes marked "Free" every stinking time. Sarah Mae, on the other hand can find an awesome piece of furniture and have it be $1 way more than is healthy. Just ask her husband. ;) Look at this cute thing! One dollar! Bow in reverence to her majesty!


Large LasVegas rainbow tote from the 80's. Vintage Raggedy Ann and Andy clock. The metal world flip calendar is Andrew's. It was like 10 cents.


Andrew got this hat. It was like a quarter. It has a pocket in the front. He also got some records.


Alicia got a set of neon screwdrivers for her new apartment ($2), a FREE vintage toaster cover for HB to maybe sell on her Etsy page and the big eyed sailor girl picture for fifty cents.


Here are my tiny treasures. I got the tin for a friend (25 cents). The tiny pink wooden hanger is for me (Free) It looks great against my sage bedroom wall. The chick couple and the bunny couple that match along with the small bag of flocked bats were a find, indeed! (50 cents) and I got the two gray bunnies (20 cents), Sylvanian families for my own doll house. After all these years I've decided to oust all those weird looking humans that never quite look like they aren't aliens and let the animals have it. It ups the cute factor of a doll house by at least 100% in case you've been thinking of making the switch.


Sarah Mae also bought us each a friendship bracelet. This seems harmless enough in theory. Although, she didn't know that I had just seen a picture of pre-teen Sarah Elaine and thought, "Wow, look at all those friendship bracelets. I'd wear those. I'd like to get some of those!" I mean, how could she know? So, having the one gave me an intense desire to not only have more, but to make them. (No smart remarks about how having one of something always gives me the intense desire to start a collection.) I used to sit for hours on end and pump these babies out. So, that's just what I did on Sunday. I got out all my embroidery floss and chose colors (pink and black for me) found a hook (the lock on our trunk that serves as our coffee table) and sat on the floor, weaving. While watching episodes of Dark Wing Duck. Just like the old days. In case any of you think that watching this show sounds like a great idea, let me dissuade you. It won't be as funny as you remember. I mean, it's not Thunder Cats bad, but it's not great. Watch Tale Spin instead. That show had some great writers and is still very much worth while. Just, don't watch it if it's that time of the month. It gets a bit sentimental, and then Kit Cloudkicker loses his cloud kicking board and it's all over.

This weekend coming up I'm in a wedding. I'm going to try to sneak some sale-ing in on Saturday but I'm not sure how it's going to work yet. I'm taking Friday off to go to one of my favorite sales, ever. I also am starting a mental list of things that I should show you all which do not have to do with yard sales. Imagine!

Until next time, fair reader.

1 comment:

  1. No it isn't no it isn't no it iiiiiiisssssnnnnn'tttttt!! (except that it totally is. I'm fricking freezing over here.)

    ReplyDelete