Search This Blog

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Misuse Tissues



The title is just fun to say, isn't it?

I'm going to tell you a sad story, kids. I've got a cold. In August. It sucks for a number of reasons. Let me enumerate: you want hot soup, but it's 85 degrees out. You want snuggly covers on you, but it's 85 degrees out. You want to sleep, but you can't because it's EIGHTY FIVE DEGREES OUT!

Also, when you are a human bag of snot you miss fun activities like family parties and yard sale-ing. This makes you more depressed. So, in an effort to keep our spirits up let's review finds from a week ago and pretend that we aren't blowing our nose every five minutes and wearing the tender skin raw, shall we? These things came from a church sale (St. Pius X) and a neighborhood sale in Gates.

Sidebar: You well know how much I love Catholic Church names that seem to be the type that should dissuade people from attending their churches. For instance, Our Lady of Sorrows. Add to that list, St. Pius. St. Goody-two-shoes? St. I'll-Tattle-On-You-If-You-Do-Something-Even-Smacking-Of-Wrongness? What happened to St. Nobody's Perfect? St. We're All Human? I guess there is just something I'm missing about these names. One day, mark my words, one day I will understand!

Sarah Mae's finds first:

Sarah Mae has started an awesome collection of anthropomorphic goodies. We found this bag of plush Christmas ornaments in an unlikely box of old toys. It's never been opened and each little fruit man is wearing or holding a symbol of Christmas. The maroon dress was handmade in Greece.


Vintage soccer camp shirt, deer plaque, tiny I Heart NY plastic purse what hinges open to reveal a mirror, bag of plastic Halloween creepers and an awesome bright red vintage cardigan with yarn wrapped buttons.


A gorgeous hand carved and painted wooden frame with poppies on it. Vintage nut cups. I'll just let that one go on by. A small leather purse. A large partridge in a pear tree pendant and a small metal pin.


Sarah Mae loves midcentury modern. She got two great (and colorful) planters. OK, so maybe the lilac hippo isn't a planter. But, it could be!


This light was $3. Real wood. The lady practically gave us the whole history of the thing and we were thinking the whole time that she was going to tell us it was $50 or some such. But no. At the end of the spiel it was $3. Oh yes, this is a good one.


These are the terrors that flap in the night! (No wait, that's Darkwing Duck.) But these are terrifying nonetheless. Sarah Mae likes a frightening little baby every now and again. The star burst is a Christmas craft and the leather wallet is a map of Greece. (We were in a neighborhood with a lot of Greek people.)


This light was $1. I'll just let that sink in.

Now my finds:


I had this book when I was a kid. I have a real thing for kids books. I have a growing collection. The tray was FREE and I don't really have a place for it. Oh well!


Christmas delights! This was one of those every so slightly illegal make your own bags. You know, when all the bags are laid out and priced individually but you don't want all the other crap in the bags. What you want is five things from five different bags. So what you do is open all the bags, rearrange the contents and come away with a bag of stuff full of things you do want. Looking over your shoulder the whole time just hoping against hope you don't get caught. Oh, you don't do that? Hm. Maybe it's just me.

The frame is real wood. I have another like it that is smaller and pink. I'm sure I'll paint this one at some point, too.

Want a closer look at these goodies?


The earrings are vintage 80's. I don't know what's wrong with me.


The white tree is a tin.


$3 and brand spanking new! I can't wait to mix up something wonderful for a party.


Check out the colors in this French street scene. These shot glasses match exactly some juice glasses that we already have. They say Florida.


This is my favorite find. $1. It's missing the front door and the base has seen better days but whoever designed these things was a genius. I love them all. This one has taken up residence in my living room and looks amazing.

Now, to get rid of this cold and get ready for next weekend!

1 comment:

  1. A barrel with a tap? NICE. And also, I had one of those houses when I was little.

    Feel better cuz I wanna come visit and I don't wanna get sickie.

    ReplyDelete